It was looking like Brad Stevens could finally get his first NBA win tonight. It was looking like it would be an impressive one too, against Memphis, on the road, on the second night of a back to back.
But no, that didn’t happen. The Celtics keep getting closer to Andrew Wiggins.
In the end, Memphis showed they are the better team and the Celtics showed their youth and inexperience. That was what determined the outcome. That and Jerryd Bayless. More on that later.
The game actualy started with the Celtics playing OK basketball. Jeff Green was agressive Jeff and it was having solid results. Faverani and Sullinger hit 3s and the Celtics were down just 3 after one.
In the second things got sloppy until the Celtics decided that they’re athletic and can run. Quick and deep outlet passes led to easy buckets for the Celtics and even Crawford had the opportunity to dunk one home on the break. The Celtics took the lead at the half, 50-46. @HPbasketball was losing his mind. Check his timeline. Its gold.
The third saw the Celtics turn into the Welptics early. Gasol was hitting everything because he was open every single time, Randolph and Conley were getting easy layups, and it quickly looked like the Celtics were in trouble. Until, again, they realized they can run. It also helped that Crawford was making some very steezy shots out there, and the Celtics regained the lead.
It really, truly looked like the Celtics could escape with the win here. Until Jerryd Bayless happened. Dude caught FIRE. He was hitting everything he put up there, everything from the mid-range and with Avery right on him. The man had 15 fourth quarter points. He was carrying the Grizzlies all by himself and he eventually led them to the win as the Celtics also missed some makeable shots, especially Olynyk from mid-range. At the end, the margin looked greater than it should have because of end-of-game free throws.
Some game notes:
- We got agressive Jeff tonight. He was looking to take advantage of mismatches and went to the free throw line 12 times converting 9 of his attempts. He finished the night with 22 points and 5 rebounds.
- Tony Allen is an amazing defender. Without him Memphis doesn’t win this one.
- Avery finally had more assists than turnovers. 3 to 1.
- Jordan Crawford is really looking like he’ll be important for this team. He’s actually trying on D and hitting shots just when the Celtics need them the most. He had 12 points with 4 assists.
- Phil Pressey once again recorded a DNP-CD. Looking like a trend.
- Jared Sullinger got more time and he delivered. 16 points with 5 rebounds in 20 minutes. He is crucial for this team’s success and it won’t be long before Stevens realizes it.
- Wallace had to come out of the game in the second half because of a bruised knee.